Saturday, May 29, 2010

They grow so fast...

My oldest became taller than her mommy this past winter. Seems like yesterday I was giving her horsey rides to her bed. (Actually it *was* yesterday. Oof!!)

And she's going to be an absolute stunner when she grows up. Tall, willowy figure; mysterious feline eyes, one of those soft horse-faces that Hollywood goes for nowadays, and for which Alfred Stieglitz would have abandoned Georgia O'Keeffe.

I sure hope I can guide her through her tween and preteen years safely. She's a great kid, smart & talented & no trouble at school. But, at home, it sometimes seems like she went straight from terrible twos to mouthy adolescence. Sometimes, when she flies into one of her little rages, she searches for something valuable to destroy. All the while I'm thinking, I hope she's well into adulthood before she discovers that the most valuable thing she could destroy is herself.

Still, childhood should be a journey, not a race. Her life is like anyone else's, a course of little trials and little triumphs. I'm so proud to see her grow and achieve; I hope to God that these years will instill resilience into her, for the road yet to come.

Just an early Father's Day thought....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Please keep your comments civil and on-topic. Spammage will be cheerfully removed.